Wednesday, July 16, 2008

His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama


I don't write much about my non-wedding photography on this blog but want to make an exception here.

I have spent the past six days documenting the Dalai Lama's visit to Lehigh University in Bethlehem to deliver a series of teachings about a centuries-old Buddhist text.

Thousands came to hear him speak. I saw a woman burst into tears when he greeted and hugged her. After six days and 4,652 images I felt like I had a pretty good sense of the man. I was moved by him. He was humble and wise. He didn't take himself seriously although everyone around him did. He joked and laughed a lot.

Yesterday was the highlight for me when I was able to meet him. I bowed and he reached out and shook my hand and grinned really big. This from the man who is the spiritual leader to the world's 350 million Buddhists.

It was a total thrill.
Douglas

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Douglas!

These are amazing! Congrats! I bet it was a thrill!

I'd love to see more.

Emily

Douglas said...

Hey Emily,

Almost done with the pix you're looking for!

Joe was saying I needed to post some more images, too. There are a lot I love.

(same goes for Liz's wedding! what more can a guy want? The Dalai Lama AND Liz Brown's wedding!)

Douglas

Kares said...

Douglas... Awesome! Would love to see more too!

Karen H.

Michelle said...

Always a pleasure working with you; especially on this unique assignment... I agree with your sentiments on the event completely. The photo of our group with His Holiness is my new favorite and most cherished images! Thanks for being awesome.

Anonymous said...

Douglas, your pictures are beautiful!!! I think you should branch out - weddings and HHDL! I am still very emotional about the whole experience but you know how that feels! Thank you for your kindness - I will never forget it. I am so glad you got to meet him. Did anyone take your picture???? Thank you to EVERYONE at Lehigh for my very special gift; especially Debra, Stacy, you and Michelle. I don't always cry - honest! Jude xxx

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!! :)

thebaysingerboy said...

very nice!